With this recipe, you'll transform a bar food -- potato skins -- into a luxurious treat. Feel free to make mashed potatoes with all the potato that you're digging out from the skins.
- 6 large russet potatoes
- 1 large vidalia onion, sliced very thin
- 4 oz. blue cheese
- 12 grape tomatoes, quartered and seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1 tbs. fresh tarragon, chopped
- 4 tbs. butter
- 1 tbs. sugar
- 1 tsp. coarse salt
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- Heat oven to 375 F. Scrub potatoes, dry potatoes, poke potatoes with a fork, and roll potatoes in olive oil and coarse salt. Bake potatoes directly on oven rack for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt 4 tbs. butter in a pan, and add very thinly sliced vidalia onions. Add sugar and a dash of salt and pepper to onions, and cook on low heat until onions are brown and caramelized.
- After potatoes have finished cooking, remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes. Then slice potatoes length-wise and, using a small spoon, scoop out potato filling into a bowl. Leave just a small amount of potato flesh with the skin. Add caramelized onions and small amount of butter from onion pan into potato skin. Add blue cheese into the potato on top of the onions.
- Heat grill to medium-high. Place 12 potato skins on grill and grill with lid closed until blue cheese has melted. Remove from grill and top potatoes with fresh tarragon, grape tomatoes, any remaining melted butter, and freshly ground black pepper. Serve and enjoy!
Recipe submitted by Brian Granahan.